CENSUS RE-DISTRICTING COMMISSION
Monday, December 20, 2021
Time: Monday, 5:30 P.M.
Location: Courthouse Public Meeting Room
- Roll Call
- Approve minutes of 11/22/2021
- Public Hearing re: Supervisor Districts Proposed Plan
- Approve a Supervisor District Plan, and appoint representative(s) to present to the Board of Supervisors
Outside copy distribution: KAYL, Storm Lake Pilot-Tribune, The Times, BV Journal
Susan K. Lloyd
Auditor & Commissioner of Elections
Buena Vista County
IMPORTANT: The information provided in this email message, along with any attachments, may be privileged, confidential, and protected under State and Federal laws. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message (or by phone at 712-749-2542) and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Buena Vista County Auditor.
***Buena Vista County Redistricting Commission-Public Hearing
Monday, December 20, 2021 5:30 PM – 6:00 PM (CDT)
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States (Toll Free): 1 866 899 4679
United States: +1 (571) 317-3116
Access Code: 796-164-757
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts:
Proposed Buena Vista County Board of Supervisors Districts with 2020 Census Data
The Buena Vista County temporary redistricting and reprecincting commission members, Kim Johnson, Don Altena, Deboney Langner, Randall Ericksen, and Lynette Goodman met on Monday, November 22nd 2021 to review and set supervisors’ district plans and set the proposed Board of Supervisors District boundaries following the IA Code and requirements set forth by the IA Secretary of State office. The Commission was also assisted by Susan Lloyd, Buena Vista County Auditor, Karla Ahrendsen, Election Deputy, and Eric Chase, Buena Vista County GIS Coordinator.
Public Hearing: The temporary redistricting and reprecincting commission is required to a hold public hearing on the proposed plan for the public to review the plans. The public hearing is December 20, 2021 at 5:30 pm in the Buena Vista County Courthouse Public Meeting Room. Two proposed plans will be discussed, and the commission will hear comments or objections to the plans, and then then they will vote on which plan to submit to the Board of Supervisors for their approval.
Criteria: The State of Iowa has the following requirements that must be followed when setting such boundaries for a Plan 2 County. Buena Vista County is a plan 2 county which is defined as: each member of the Board of Supervisors is elected at large, but each has residency requirements and must live within the specific district.
- Must follow census block data boundaries.
- Must be composed of a contiguous territory.
- Must be a compact territory.
- Must follow political subdivision boundaries (such as city and townships) as much as possible.
- Must not take into consideration residences of current Board of Supervisors or elected officials from County.
- Must be as close as possible to the ideal district population which is equal population to each other (within a 1% variance). Buena Vista County district ideal population is 4,165 and target range is between 4,124 and 4,206 people.
- Must be the best plan possible and shall be submitted to the Board of Supervisors for approval.
- Commission must hold a public hearing of the proposed plans prior to approve a final set of plans to go to the Board of Supervisors for review.
- The Board of Supervisors holds a public hearing and then approves the final supervisors district plans to submit to the Auditor.
- Auditor must submit the final approved plan to the Iowa Secretary of State Office after public hearing for the final approval by the State.
- Supervisor District changes take effect for elections held after January 15, 2022.
Populations: The two plans proposed would create the following populations.
District 1: 4,168 District 2: 4,167 District 3: 4,162 District 4: 4,157 District 5: 4,169
District 1: 4,126 District 2: 4,153 District 3: 4,167 District 4: 4,192 District 5: 4,185
A map of the proposed districts may be obtained at the Buena Vista County Auditor’s Office, or they will be on the County’s website at Buena Vista County Supervisor Map. Comments or objections may also be sent to the County Auditor’s Office, P O Box 220, Storm Lake, IA 50588.