Buena Vista County first started issuing driver’s licenses on January 13, 2003. This decision was made because the state was reducing most of their DL sites and traveling teams. Buena Vista County residents would have had to travel to a state site to renew their licenses.
The County Treasurer’s Office took this on as a service to the residents of Buena Vista County. The County is reimbursed only for basic renewals and that is $7.00 per transaction. The County does not get paid by the State for drive tests, automated knowledge tests, identification cards, duplicate licenses, handicap permits, etc.
Drivers’ license services are provided by the Treasurer’s office in Buena Vista County. These services include issuing driver licenses, commercial driver licenses, commercial learners permit, instruction permits, school permits, non-driver identification cards, and handicapped permits.
The Treasurer’s office – Drivers License Department also administers automated knowledge tests for all licenses and endorsements.
Appointment required for the following services:
Renewal, Duplicate (lost, stolen, name and/or address change), Reinstate, Upgrade, New IA DL/ID/IP:
Monday – Friday: 8:15am – 4:00pm
Automated Knowledge (Operator, CDL, Motorcycle) test:
Monday – Friday: 8:15am – 3:30pm
Drive (Car Only) test:
Monday – Friday: 8:15am – 3:00pm
- Drive Tests by appointment: Monday – Friday.
- Valid Liability Insurance is required before all drive tests.
- Automated Knowledge Testing by appointment: Monday – Friday for Operator, Motorcycle and CDL’s.
- Operator, Motorcycle and CDL manuals are available online. Click here for the link.
- Motorcycle Skills and CDL Drives tests are not available.
- For Real ID Information
- No Appointments required for Handicap placards or CDL Medical Certificates. Call before arriving – 712-749-2571.
For any of the above services that require an appointment, please call 712-749-2571.
For more information call the Iowa Dept. of Transportation at 515-244-8725 or visit www.iowadot.gov.
EFFECTIVE JULY 15, 2023
CONVENIENCE FEE $10.00 CASH
ISSUANCE OF IOWA DRIVER’S LICENSE OR
IOWA IDENTIFICATION CARD
FOR ALL NON-BUENA VISTA COUNTY RESIDENTS