Motor Vehicle Department Services
- Renew plates/validation stickers: (Done during the owner’s birth month, or December for large trucks, corporations, etc.
- Transfer ownership documents: (for all motor vehicles, trailers and mobile homes)
- Collects all fees: (associated with motor vehicles, use tax, titles, liens, and surcharges)
- Files liens: (for financial institutions on vehicle titles.
- Respond to telephone inquiries; provide service to walk-in customers and work closely with dealers.
NOTE: No title transfers processed after 4:00 p.m. Renewals until 4:30.
Click here to experience the convenience of online payments!
Motor Vehicle Renewals
You may renew your vehicles in the office, by mail or on-line. Starting May 2012 the DOT plans to begin replacing license plates (a rolling-reissue) that are beyond their life expectancy. This would allow the DOT to replace plates that are too old without wasting money by replacing plates that are not. The plates would have the same town and country landscape embossed version, but the sequence will be reversed having three letters followed by the three numbers. They will be replacing ONLY those plates that are older than 10 years.
If you have received a renewal notice with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) CLICK HERE
On-line service is not available if the vehicle registered needs proof of SR22 insurance, any state or county debts are owed, the vehicle has a ½ year license, or is apportioned.
For your convenience, a dropbox is located on the east side of the Courthouse and can be used for all Courthouse payments.
For more information visit the Iowa Dept. of Transportation website.